Health and Wellness Assistant Term-Contract (#14516, Grade G)
$21.18 - $36.24 per hour
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, Prince George’s County Parks and Recreation is a nationally recognized and award-winning parks department. The Sports Health and Wellness division is seeking a Health and Wellness Assistant to work under the general direction of the Health and Wellness Coordinator. The selected candidate will be directly responsible for providing employee wellness programs; and health promotion programs to the residents of Prince George’s County, with special focus on community outreach and community-based health education.
The position requires:
- Working in a culturally and economically diverse community.
- Collaborating with community health providers.
- Helping to create lifestyle changes on a community level.
- Having the ability to communicate effectively through written publications and professional presentations.
The selected candidate will be responsible for implementing a broad spectrum of health promotion programs, including nutrition education, stress management, physical activities and providing on-going training opportunities for staff. The Health and Wellness Assistant will also assess the wellness needs of the employees, and be a self-starter in the programming for those needs.
1. Assists in the operations of Health and Wellness programs and initiatives. Participates in planning and organization of community and employee wellness programs. Monitors participation in programs. Coordinates facility usage and meeting planning. Participates in grant acquisition and fulfilling requirements. Contributes to the development of various wellness initiatives.
2. Assists in marketing programs and activities. Prepares written articles and other forms of marketing literature. Participates in preparing posters, flyers and other graphics. Attends and coordinates participation in health-related fairs, both internally and externally. Circulates promotional materials to individuals and groups. Maintains and provides content for internal and external web pages.
3. Assists in supervision of contract and volunteer staff for programs. Participates in the selection, hiring and scheduling of staff. Leads workers in assignments. Assists in the processing of time cards. Coordinates training of staff in order to meet qualifications. Evaluates work performance of employees.
4. Participates in budget control and oversight. Researches purchase of program supplies and equipment. Researches contractual services for program support. Prepares financial documents in accordance with Commission policy for supervisor approval. Maintains necessary records of expenditures and revenue.
5. Works collaboratively with other Commission divisions and outside agencies. Works effectively on assigned committees. Develops points of contact with outside health-related organizations. Works effectively with partner agencies. Effectively communicates and coordinates programs with Area Operations. Performs special project work in the community on behalf of the supervisor.
6. Maintains administrative records of Health and Wellness programs. Monitors and maintains employee memberships. Maintains and compiles evaluations of programs for review. Records and maintains measurable data of applicable programs. Develops and maintains database of vendors and resources. Prepares administrative records and reports as needed.
PREFERRED CANDIDATES WILL POSSESS:
Bachelor’s degree in: public health, health education/promotion, community health, exercise science/kinesiology, nutritional/dietetics or related fields, and two years of relevant professional work experience, OR an equivalent combination of education and experience. Along with a valid driver’s license or the ability to acquire one.
1. Bachelor’s degree in parks and recreation or related field, and two years of relevant professional work experience; or
2. An equivalent combination of education and experience.
3. Valid driver’s license or the ability to acquire one
The selected candidate will work a varied schedule to include evenings and weekends to provide the support of the many activities that take place during that timeframe, and will perform other duties to support programs and operations as assigned.
All interested applicants should visit our website www.mncppc.org/jobs for details and to submit an application.